We cut the cord years ago. That of course doesn't mean we can't "watch TV", it just means we watch things other than the standard broadcast/cable channels. Amazon Prime, YouTube, Netfilx, Hulu, Acorn TV (it's British shows, not the vote fraud outfit James O'Keefe and Hanna Giles busted back in the Salad Days of the Obungle Administration. But it's been a long time since I watched network programming. Now that I think about it, I cut the cord not too long after ACORN declared bankruptcy and scurried for new rocks to hide under. Anyway...
This weekend I find myself staying - by myself - at a friends vacation place on the beach. He had some installation work he needed my expertise for, and I agreed to spend the weekend at his place doing it. He has cable TV. I watched it today. Wow is it bad.
I took a break for lunch and decided to flip on the TV. It was tuned to the Discovery Channel. The show that was playing was called "Naked and Afraid." I'd actually heard of this at work - a coworker told me about it. Another "Reality TV" survival show, only it has a twist (of course ) - the man and woman dropped into the wilderness to survive for 21 days are dropped off buck naked.
No, I thought, they wouldn't really do that. Oh, yes, they would. And did. The show opened with an Army Special Forces officer getting rowed along a caiman-filled lagoon (South America, I presume). The boat stopped, he stripped, and hopped into the lagoon to start wading over to meet his partner. She was a nurse, early 30s it said, and being rowed in on a separate boat. She stripped, hopped in the water, and started wading along herself.
Now, they blurred any frontal nudity (and side-al nudity too, for the side-boob shots), but they showed you the full ass, both male and female. Oh, and look at that, she has a tramp stamp. Of course. The first time the two had (allegedly) met was when they shook hands naked, standing in an equatorial swamp.
I watched a few minutes, then turned it off so I could eat lunch without looking at some Army dude's bare ass or the nurse's tramp stamp. Throughout the afternoon, I had occasional breaks while I waited for something to dry or set, and I flipped the TV back on. It was a Naked and Afraid marathon! I saw parts of four shows. You'd think it would be hard to sink below the cultural train-wreck of shows like Survivor and Big Brother, but, Discovery Channel pulled it off.
In all four episodes I saw parts of (probably a half-hour total), the man was some sort of professional outdoors type (the Army operator, and three guys who taught wilderness survival). The women were: a nurse, a pediatrician, a stay-at-home mom, and I didn't catch the fourth one's occupation. They were...
...scraaaaaaaach!..... Wait a minute, what?!?! Did you say a stay-at-home mom?
Yes, I did. 30 years old, married, three young kids. The showed her cuck-faced hubbs driving her to the airport, the kids in the back strapped into their car seats with their juice boxes, all seeing mommy off so she could fly halfway around the world to spend three weeks tramping around the African bush in her birthday suit with a naked man she'd never met before, while a film crew follows them around so footage of it can be broadcast to the world.
(and honestly, the stay-at-home mom was easily the hottest of the four women. None of them were fat, but she was the only one that had any tone. The other three were borderline skinny-fat and didn't look like they'd ever touched a barbell, while Mommy definitely did her squats. She was also the only one of the four without a tramp stamp, though obviously she was simply lacking the official documentation...)
Three of the four women (all late 20's to mid 30's) were mothers, and at least 2 were married (not sure about the other two). And yet they were flying around the world to spend three weeks naked with a strange man while being filmed. Oh, right, and remember all four of the guys had some sort of professional experience in survival situations, while the women did not. In three of the four episodes (and maybe in the 4th too, I only saw a few minutes of it after all), the women complained that the man was too bossy and didn't listen to the naked women's ideas.
That's some mighty find culture right there. But speaking of culture, I must give the show credit, because it certainly showed what sort of society that kind of degenerate culture leads to. Starving to death, freezing to death, dehydrated, laying naked and covered in mud under a lean-to made out of sticks and leaves. Not even at the mud-hut level. Naked and Afraid indeed.
Well, that about covered the moral wrongness, but I wanted to point out a couple of other things that, while not morally dubious, were just plain wrong. The first episode, remember they were wading through a caiman-filled swamp. Now, caimans might be small crocodillians, but they're still crocodillians, and some of them ain't all that small. Besides, even the small ones have way too many teeth to be swimming around in water that my twig and berries are floatin' free in. In another episode, our duo were bushwacking naked through some kind of brambles with nasty thorns. Great, bushwack through a briar patch naked.
Finally, something they got right from a "please don't go there" standpoint. Anyone want to guess why the survival period was 21 days? Thank God they thought that one through.
This weekend I find myself staying - by myself - at a friends vacation place on the beach. He had some installation work he needed my expertise for, and I agreed to spend the weekend at his place doing it. He has cable TV. I watched it today. Wow is it bad.
I took a break for lunch and decided to flip on the TV. It was tuned to the Discovery Channel. The show that was playing was called "Naked and Afraid." I'd actually heard of this at work - a coworker told me about it. Another "Reality TV" survival show, only it has a twist (of course ) - the man and woman dropped into the wilderness to survive for 21 days are dropped off buck naked.
No, I thought, they wouldn't really do that. Oh, yes, they would. And did. The show opened with an Army Special Forces officer getting rowed along a caiman-filled lagoon (South America, I presume). The boat stopped, he stripped, and hopped into the lagoon to start wading over to meet his partner. She was a nurse, early 30s it said, and being rowed in on a separate boat. She stripped, hopped in the water, and started wading along herself.
Now, they blurred any frontal nudity (and side-al nudity too, for the side-boob shots), but they showed you the full ass, both male and female. Oh, and look at that, she has a tramp stamp. Of course. The first time the two had (allegedly) met was when they shook hands naked, standing in an equatorial swamp.
I watched a few minutes, then turned it off so I could eat lunch without looking at some Army dude's bare ass or the nurse's tramp stamp. Throughout the afternoon, I had occasional breaks while I waited for something to dry or set, and I flipped the TV back on. It was a Naked and Afraid marathon! I saw parts of four shows. You'd think it would be hard to sink below the cultural train-wreck of shows like Survivor and Big Brother, but, Discovery Channel pulled it off.
In all four episodes I saw parts of (probably a half-hour total), the man was some sort of professional outdoors type (the Army operator, and three guys who taught wilderness survival). The women were: a nurse, a pediatrician, a stay-at-home mom, and I didn't catch the fourth one's occupation. They were...
...scraaaaaaaach!..... Wait a minute, what?!?! Did you say a stay-at-home mom?
Yes, I did. 30 years old, married, three young kids. The showed her cuck-faced hubbs driving her to the airport, the kids in the back strapped into their car seats with their juice boxes, all seeing mommy off so she could fly halfway around the world to spend three weeks tramping around the African bush in her birthday suit with a naked man she'd never met before, while a film crew follows them around so footage of it can be broadcast to the world.
(and honestly, the stay-at-home mom was easily the hottest of the four women. None of them were fat, but she was the only one that had any tone. The other three were borderline skinny-fat and didn't look like they'd ever touched a barbell, while Mommy definitely did her squats. She was also the only one of the four without a tramp stamp, though obviously she was simply lacking the official documentation...)
Three of the four women (all late 20's to mid 30's) were mothers, and at least 2 were married (not sure about the other two). And yet they were flying around the world to spend three weeks naked with a strange man while being filmed. Oh, right, and remember all four of the guys had some sort of professional experience in survival situations, while the women did not. In three of the four episodes (and maybe in the 4th too, I only saw a few minutes of it after all), the women complained that the man was too bossy and didn't listen to the naked women's ideas.
That's some mighty find culture right there. But speaking of culture, I must give the show credit, because it certainly showed what sort of society that kind of degenerate culture leads to. Starving to death, freezing to death, dehydrated, laying naked and covered in mud under a lean-to made out of sticks and leaves. Not even at the mud-hut level. Naked and Afraid indeed.
Well, that about covered the moral wrongness, but I wanted to point out a couple of other things that, while not morally dubious, were just plain wrong. The first episode, remember they were wading through a caiman-filled swamp. Now, caimans might be small crocodillians, but they're still crocodillians, and some of them ain't all that small. Besides, even the small ones have way too many teeth to be swimming around in water that my twig and berries are floatin' free in. In another episode, our duo were bushwacking naked through some kind of brambles with nasty thorns. Great, bushwack through a briar patch naked.
Finally, something they got right from a "please don't go there" standpoint. Anyone want to guess why the survival period was 21 days? Thank God they thought that one through.
Comments
Post a Comment
Commenting is a privilege not a right. No anonymous comments please, but do feel free to use an alias if you wish.