Skip to main content

Can Left-Wing Nationalism Exist?

Yesterday, Vox Day had a post outlining some left/right defining characteristics.
At its core, the left-right divide all comes down to the most basic principles.
Left = Plato. Anti-Christian. Anti-family. Imperialist.Right = Aristotle. Christian. Pro-family. Nationalist.
Much discussion resulted of course, but Darth DharmakÄ«rti wrote this:
I think the heuristic works except for the imperialist/nationalist bit. I think you can have left-wing nationalism and right-wing imperialism.
He went on to discuss acceptance or rejection of spiritual authority, which discussion I will leave to Darth, but I wanted to point out that Leftism cannot be sustainably nationalistic.  It might - in larval form - be nationalistic but must fairly soon become imperialistic.  Because another characteristic of leftism is that it is parasitic.  I cannot generate self-sustaining prosperity, it must mine it from other societies.

A perfect example of this is everyone's favorite litmus test - the Nazis.  "Nazi" stands for National Socialist after all, so they would appear to be either:  a) left-wing nationalists, or b) right-winger socialists.  

Actually, they were left-wing imperialists, proof of the imperialist part being they invaded their neighbors at every compass point.  They may have started out as nationalists, favoring the Volk, but their economy was a mess and the only way they could retain power was to start a war and go loot other nations. 

And, once you become imperialists, the anti-family part is required too.  Imperialists need foot-soldiers to go invade the world, so children cannot belong to their families, they must belong to the State (commentor Azure Amaranthine got into some of this over on VP too).

I think it's also likely that if a genuinely right-wing society encounters economic stress and tries to solve it with banditry, it can force itself to morph into a left-wing society.  This might be the general explanation for the fall of the Roman Republic after the Punic Wars.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh No! Princess Got Stuck In the Snow!

Three generations of female solipsism on a snowy Sunday afternoon. We had a surprise snowstorm Sunday afternoon.  It came down for a couple of hours, maybe 2 or 3 inches accumulation.  It was the wet, slushy kind of snow that makes the roads dicey.  Plus, the town I live in is basically built on the side of a valley, and it doesn't snow here very often.  So, snow, steep hills and drivers not used to the conditions always makes for some entertaining escapades.  Yesterday I had a front row seat to a minor (no injuries or even dented cars) sideshow in the three-ring circus.  And then the community Facebook group filled in some details. Not The Princess From Our Story There's one particular hill that isn't as steep as most of the others.  It's the official snow route.  But, by around 4:30, two-wheel drive cars were starting to have trouble getting up it.  When I got there, about a half dozen cars were spinning their tires unable to make t...

The Decline of Pop Music

From what I've read, the Grammy's were bad.  I've never actually sat down to watch the Grammy's ever, though I like music enough, but I'm not particularly interested in the lives of musicians.  (Not particularly interested in the lives of actors or athletes either).  Award shows are woman things - women are the audience for the "human interest" stories and gossip about private lives.  That's probably why these things end up as more fashion shows than anything else.  Speaking of fashion, it's a riot to see someone complaining about sexual harassment (that's the white rose) while dressed like this.  The Red Carpet for most award shows ends up looking like a Slut Walk for attractive people.  I like Aaron Clary's take on the Grammys - outshone by an X-Games competition with people playing outrageously in the snow.  But the Grammys are about pop music, and pop music is dying from lack of... well, music. In the middle of last century, a b...